As occupational, physical, and speech and language therapists we see a number of children who display difficulties with balance, auditory, and vision. One program which will target all of these areas is called Bal-A-Vis-X (balance/auditory/vision exercises). The program focuses on rhythm and requires full body coordination and focused attention. With over 200 exercises, the program uses beanbags, racquetballs, and balance boards to complete different exercises which vary in complexity from one hand tossing/catching a single beanbag to both hands bounce-juggling four racquetball in rhythmic sequence. Bal-A-Vis-X is currently used with people from ages 3 years to 105.
Children love to complete and progress with the exercises. Bal-A-Vis-X has been shown to be effective with the following children:
- Children with learning disabilities have been shown to demonstrate improved cognitive integration
- Children with attention deficit hyperactive disorder have resulted in decreased impulsivity and improved attention span
- Children also have demonstrated improved physical coordination and diminished stress headaches
- Children who display difficulty with auditory comprehension have demonstrated improved awareness to the nuances of sound
- Children who have difficulty with eye tracking, eye teaming (when the eyes work together), and visual perception for the discrimination of details.
The best part about the Bal-A-Vis-X program, is children are able to complete the exercises at home with their parents for better carry over and faster results. The benefits from this wonderful program are endless. It is one of the most highly recommended programs we use with our children when they have difficulties with balance, coordination, visual motor difficulties, auditory difficulties, and impulsivity.
Please visit the Bal-A-Vis-X website below for any further information or please ask your child’s therapist at their next appointment!